M. Murat Erdoğan
BIO - CV
Prof. Dr. M. Murat ERDOĞAN is the Director of the Turkish German University Migration and Integration Research Center; Faculty Member of Political Science and International Relations Department since November 2017.
He was also the founder and director of Hacettepe University Migration and Politics Research Center (HUGO). He carried out the research of his PhD dissertation from Ankara University -titled “The Relationship between Turkey and European Union after the Cold War: Geo-Strategic Perspective: 1990-2005”- as a Konrad Adenauer Foundation fellow at Bonn and Freiburg universities in Germany in 1994-1999. In 2000-2003, Erdoğan worked at the Press Section of the Turkish Embassy in Berlin, and later as an advisor at the Turkish Grand National Assembly’s Commission on EU Integration (2004), also as an advisor to the president of Turkish Higher Education Council, and to the Rector of Hacettepe University (2012-2016). Prof. Erdoğan carried out studies as a visiting researcher with different fellowships at universities of Duisburg-Essen (2007), Berlin-Humboldt (2010), Oxford University (2012), Johns Hopkins University-AICGS (2014), and Humboldt University (2019). His academic research interests include voluntary and forced migration, refugees, people of Turkish origin living abroad, EU, political cartoons, political behaviour, Islamophobia, and Germany and Turkish foreign policy. He conducts comprehensive public opinion research on a regular basis and publishes particularly the “Euro-Turks-Barometre” on Turkish diaspora in Europe, and the “Syrians Barometer” on Syrians in Turkey. Prof. Erdoğan is a member of UNESCO-Turkey, board member of ISC of Metropolis International and the President of IGAM-Academy.
Prof. Erdoğan’s recent books include the following:
• Syrians Barometer-2019: A Framework for Achieving Social Cohesion with Syrians in Turkey (2020)
• Demographical Development of the Syrian Refugee Population and its Potential Impacts on The Education, Employment and Municipality Services in Turkey in Near Future (& M. Çorabatır) (2019) (in Turkish&English)
• Göç Uyum ve Yerel Yönetimler (2019) (Migration, Integration and Local Goverments) (in Turkish) (2018)
• Perspectives, Expectations and Suggestions of the Turkish Business Sector on Syrians in Turkey
• Syrians Barometer-2017: A Framework for Achieving Social Cohesion with Syrians in Turkey (2018)
• Syrian Refugees and Process Management of Municipalities: The Case of Istanbul (2017) • Perspectives, Expectations and Suggestions of the Turkish Business Sector on Syrians in Turkey (2015)
• “Turkiye’nin Goc Tarihi: 14. Yuzyildan 21. Yuzyila Turkiye’ye Gocler” (with A. Kaya) (2015)
• “Syrians in Turkey: Social Acceptance and Integration” (2015)
• Turks in German Cartoons, 50 Jahre 50 Karikaturen/50 Years 50 Cartoons: Turken in Deutschland aus der Sicht Deutcher Karikaturisten (2012)
• Turks Abroad: Fifty Years of Migration and Integration (2010)